just a warning?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 29 13:00:56 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 16:09 -0700, maxim wexler wrote:
>> Hi group,
>>
>> Whenever I start synaptic a box labeled Warning! opens
>> up with this message:
>>
>> W: Couldn't stat source package list
>> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages

(/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_main_binary-i386_Packages)
>> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>> W: Couldn't stat source package list
> Those messages are because you got a whole lot of entries
> in /etc/apt/sources.list which are not valid.

Lets try not to assess blame, yet, please.

That URL & path looks perfectly good to me, which says to me that
us.archive.ubuntu.com isn't working properly, at least for him.
The /var/lib file won't exist until he has successfully connected to
us.archive.ubuntu.com at least once, and while I couldn't manage to
generate the "couldn't stat source package" message for myself, I replace
the domain in my own sources.list with "localhost" and at least get a
near-identical URL in the error.
--
derek