How to replace the deb package with my own?

Constantine Evans constantine at evanslabs.org
Thu Jun 29 07:11:26 UTC 2006

maxl wrote:

> How can I replace the deb package with my own and still keeping Update
> Manager functionality?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Are you installing 1.4.4 from source? If you are, you have a few
options. You could use equivs, a tool which allows you to create fake,
placeholder packages. checkinstall might also work. This might break
programs from the main repository that use gnupg, however, since they
may be depending upon a specific version.

Alternatively, you could install GnuPG  1.4.4 in /usr/local, which is
probably the default of the source package anyway. In that way, you will
have both 1.4.2 and 1.4.4 installed. This is most likely the best option.

If you are not installing from source, it would be very helpful if you
could tell us what you are using to install 1.4.4.

Constantine Evans