How to replace the deb package with my own?

maxl maxlist366 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:16:34 UTC 2006

Constantine Evans wrote:

>> How can I replace the deb package with my own and still keeping Update
>> Manager functionality?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Are you installing 1.4.4 from source? If you are, you have a few

Yes, with Idea support.

> options. You could use equivs, a tool which allows you to create fake,
> placeholder packages. checkinstall might also work. This might break
> programs from the main repository that use gnupg, however, since they
> may be depending upon a specific version.

I tried to remove 1.4.2 and install 1.4.4 but didn't work. Update Manager
and Synaptic have dependencies with the deb version.

> Alternatively, you could install GnuPG  1.4.4 in /usr/local, which is
> probably the default of the source package anyway. In that way, you will
> have both 1.4.2 and 1.4.4 installed. This is most likely the best option.

Thank you for your advise.
Indeed that's what I did after a little mess, but now everything is fine,
see below.
The only annoy is Update Manager trying to "update" gnupg...

> If you are not installing from source, it would be very helpful if you
> could tell us what you are using to install 1.4.4.

user at ubuntu:~$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.4
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

Thanks,
maxl