Kubuntu Performance Problems

Tobias Baldauf robin.goodfellow at gmx.net
Wed Jun 28 08:38:34 UTC 2006

For some days now my Kubuntu has severe performance problems. Especially
animations play like 1frame/second. And typing e.g. mails like this one
sometimes lag so that a bunch of text appears like 3 seconds later. It
seems like a process in the background is using a lot of CPU-Power.

Here's the 'BUT': My System-Monitors do not show that any of all the
processes running uses a large amount of capacity. Everything in these
processes seems to work fine. And also, the CPU doesn't get hot because
of large usage - which it should do if it was under heavy usage.

I'm not sure, but I think it all started with some upgrades via apt-get.
Maybe the new linux-image (kernel)?! I don't know how to find out what
it is.

Any hints/ pointers?

TIA!

Tobias