Killing a process when desktop hang

maxim wexler blissfix at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 19:11:40 UTC 2006

--- Haines Brown <brownh at hartford-hwp.com> wrote:

> > Ctrl-Alt-F1 will bring you to a text login (F1 -
> F6 are configured
> > this way). When you're done killing your
> processes, you can go back
> > into Gnome by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F7 (Default for
> xwindows in Ubuntu)
> >
> > -Anderson
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem is that
> my entire desktop
> is hung, not just the application. C-M-F3 does not
> take me to a
> console, and C-M-BkSp does not shut down the X
> server.
>
> I'm setting ubuntu up for my wife, but on my own
> machine I've avoided
> desktop managers and have only a window manager.
> This is why I'm
> unfamiliar with how to deal with desktop hangs.
>
> If I can't get to a console and can't shut down the
> X server because
> the machine is not responding to keyboard input, I'm
> not sure what to
> do. Years ago one simply did a dirty shutdown by
> powering off, but
> naturally I want to avoid that if at all possible.

Does your caps lock key turn on/off the middle led on
the right? If not then the kb is useless. You have to
reset. I think UPSes were made for this sort of thing.
I've never used one. Once and a while you just have to
reset the box. It's crude and unseemly but rarely does
any terrible damage...provided you're backed up.