Upgrading to Edgy Eft

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 27 17:21:56 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar wrote:

> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> I don't think people get upset about this at all. But I think what does
>> upset some people is if users upgrade to edgy, then post to the list
>> "something is broken, I have package conflicts", and ask for help.
>
> Exactly. If somebody is under the impression to use a not yet
> released distribution, he should know how to handle such small
> problems. Further, I don't think it's right to post questions
> about a "developer distribution" on the users list - IMO such
> questions belong to the -dev list.
>
> This list is for users, not for dev's! And Edgy isn't for
> users (at least not yet).

NO, NO, absolutely NO.  If edgy isn't for the user community then the
archive should not be open.  It IS intended for us to use, and just like
dapper, many of us here will be using it long before release date.

This list is for _users_.  It is NOT for breezy or dapper users, it's for
ALL users.  This is exactly the attitude that got me started in this
thread.

Honestly, I can't see how you could open your response to Mario
with "exactly" and then get it so completely wrong.  Mario just said that
Edgy users have to expect that there'll be problems.  He didn't say they
shouldn't discuss those problems.  And, btw, they're not likely to
be "small" problems.  New beta releases rarely have only "small" problems,
but people have to try them or the developers will never know what needs
fixing.
--
derek