Kernel Compilation Woes [was Re: iPod Isssues]

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:57:57 UTC 2006

On 27/06/06, Ylan Segal <ylan.segal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
> >
> > 1 - your iPod should work - just tried mine and it does
> >     (of course, I didn't try it before I rebooted to the new kernel,
> >      so I'm assuming it wasn't working before, but hey, between the two
> >      of us we've got it nailed :-)
>
> Last night I tried my custom kernel without EFI support, but I am afraid
> I still report the same problems.
>
> When using Gtkpod I can read the iTunes database fine, but when I try to
> export tracks, it quickly fails. Does it work properly on yours?

Hmmm, I hadn't tried exporting tracks using gtkpod.  I'll try it tonight.
I just fired a few files back and forth.

> I read again everything on the launchpad bug and there are people there
> that report that if they plug their iPod directly to their computer,
> instead of using an USB hub then the problems goes away. I am not using
> a hub, however, my laptop (Sony Vaio 505 series) has two USB ports, one
> on each side of the computer. Is it possible that it has a something
> like an internal hub inside, which is messing me up?

I haven't read the threads but I'm guessing its unpowered hubs that
cause problems, not
just any old hub...  if that's the case your laptop would be fine as
I'm sure they power those
ports adequately.

If it's a certain problem chipset then I suppose it's possible that
your laptop would be the issue,
but I really highly doubt it.

In my case it's a desktop and I'm plugging straight into the back.