radom beep

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jun 27 05:09:47 UTC 2006

My 3 day old dapper box beeps with a ^G pc speaker beep every few hours.  The
same hardware has been running XP for about a year, no mystery beeps.

I do have a sound card, it has it's own issues - it went from working, to
playing the same thing in a loop 16 times to not working:

carl at amd15:~/bin$ play /usr/share/hwdb-client/sound.wav
sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy

If I hit ^G in a terminal, the pc speaker beeps.

my fear is something like smart-mon is trying to tell me my HD is about to fail.

Carl K