apt-get -f = REMOVED: ubuntu-desktop

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sun Jun 25 15:45:07 UTC 2006

I am trying to upgrade to gaim v2b3 - I found a .deb here:
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/net/gaim

I get "Failed to compleetely install all dependencies  - To fix this run 'sudo
apt-get install -f'/..."

carl at amd15:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   gaim ubuntu-desktop
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 2241kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I also tried:
carl at amd15:~$ sudo apt-get remove gaim
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
   ubuntu-desktop: Depends: gaim but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a
solution).

If it matters, this box was done using the alternate install, then install
ubuntu-desktop.

Carl K