Gnus Not Using Newest Version

Kenneth Jacker khj at be.cs.appstate.edu
Sun Jun 25 14:26:29 UTC 2006

I recently upgraded from Breezy --> Dapper.

One effect of the upgrade was to "break" 'gnus'.  It still works, but
isn't using the latest version (5.10.6-1).  I noticed this when some
of my functions stopped working (e.g., 'gnus-group-sort-groups-by-unread').

Using 'gnus's `V' command shows this as its version:

  No Gnus v0.4

I have tried removing and reinstalling it to no avail.  This message
shows up during the reinstall:

   Byte-compiling for emacs21...found emacs21 ..\
      Not replacing deleted config file /etc/emacs21/site-start.d/20gnus-init.el

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj at cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj