How to remove Kubuntu?

Avraham Hanadari rufus at hanadari.net
Sun Jun 25 09:46:46 UTC 2006

Dion Le Blanc wrote:
> Avraham Hanadari wrote:
>
>> I have been experimenting for some time now in order to build a Linux
>> system that does what I need. Happily, mostly with the help of the
>> Ubuntu family, I am approaching my goal with Dapper.
>>

>> Recently, I discovered that several functions I require were readily
>> available in KDE, so I installed the Kubuntu desktop alongside Ubuntu. I
>> subsequently discovered that I really do not like the KDE GUI, so I
>> would like to remove it.
>>

>> So far, I have not managed to do that. Would some kind soul please
>> explain how to remove the Kubuntu desktop?
>
>   It isn't as easy as apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop unfortunately.
> You need to remove kdebase and kdelibs at least, you can either do this with
> synaptic and use the search to mark all kde bits and remove them all at
> once. Or if you prefer apt-get then dpkg -l kde* will show you the stuff
> you need to remove.

I'd tried the apt-get remove formula, but was told the desktop is not
installed. I still get a Kubuntu start-up screen when initiating the
computer, however. I tried your line, and received the following.

sudo apt-get dpkg -l kde*
E: Command line option ā€˜lā€™ [from -l] is not known.

Have I misunderstood your suggestion?

Avraham