requirements (glib >= 1.2.4 gtk+ >= 1.2.4) not met

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Sun Jun 25 01:24:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 01:32:51PM +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 10:18 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:50:28 +0200
> > "Duncan Lithgow" <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to install the latest version of kino from source (0.9)
> > > which of course is lots of fun and giving me dependency troubles...
> >
> > You might save yourself a lot of time and trouble by running
> >
> > sudo apt-get build-dep kino

> I don't seem to have a man page for build-dep
It's not a separate program - it's a command to apt-get, and is
described in the apt-get man page.

> so maybe you can tell me how it works?
Assuming that you have deb-src lines in your sources.list that desribe
where to find the package sources it looks up the dependencies required
to build the Ubuntu kino package and installs them. It won't
/necessarily/ solve your problem, but the chances are that the build
requirements for the later version are similar or identical to the build
requirements of the version that exists in Ubuntu.

> I have kino 0.8 installed and I've downloaded 0.9, so what's build-dep
> actually doing? I mean kino 0.8 works, so how can it be that I need to
> get more dependencies (14+ MB worth...)?

Some things are only required for building, and not for running - to use
a real world analogy you probably need quite a bit of scaffolding to
build a house, but once it's done you can take it away and the house
still stays standing.

Ewan