locking problem...again.

Cameron Hutchison camh at xdna.net
Fri Jun 23 06:25:38 UTC 2006

Mitchell Brown wrote:

>You know that problem that cropped up how I couldn't lock my screen? At all?
>ctl alt L, lock button. Nothing would make it work.
>Well, I solved it by wiping and reformatting (I'm using Dapper). Now, its
>happened again ....

I can't say why it happened, but there's a few things to check:

Make sure that caps lock, num lock and scroll lock are off. These should
already be filtered, but perhaps there's a bug somewhere. If this does
fix it, please post the output of running "xmodmap" from a terminal window.

Open "System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts"
make sure the Lock screen shortcut is set properly as you want it.

Run gnome-screensaver-command from a terminal window and see if that
works.

run "ps auxww | grep [g]nome-settings-daemon" to see if
gnome-settings-daemon is running.

If any of these are wrong, the next step is to try and figure out how
that happened so it doesn't happen again.