Installing Dapper

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Thu Jun 22 18:06:35 UTC 2006

Rein Mann <reica at bigpond.com> writes:

> This is the error message I get:
>
> *Preparing restricted drivers...
> *Starting basic networking...
> *Starting kernel event manager...
> [4294792.099000] hw_random RNG not detected
> [4294803.590000] BUG: softlockup detected on CPU#0!
>
> Anyone?

Seems your hardware has found a bug in your kernel (driver).  Unless
you're a guru, or very lucky, you're not going to a easy solution to
the problem.  Maybe try another kernel tomorrow and/or in a few days
or weeks.  You should (?) file a bug report (either ubuntu or kernel
people -- I don't know which is better), but consider that an
altruistic deed.  If you're really keen, I think you can bug (so to
speak) the kernel or driver developers on their lists or personal
mailbox (names found in related code probably).