Logging in as root

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Jun 22 05:02:19 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:

>>  gksudo nautilus
>
> No need. "sudo nautilus" will work perfectly. There is no such thing as
> "sudo for commands and gksudo for GUI programs". Sudo and gksudo are
> equivalent, the only difference being where you type the password. With
> sudo you type on your terminal and with gksudo you type on a dialog.

Ah, yes, you're right of course.  I guess gksudo is useful when you use
the 'Run' window (Alt-F2), then you're not in a terminal so then gksudo
should probably be used. (unless you tick the box for 'run in terminal'
of course, but at this point you don't really need a terminal)

> I don't recommend running Nautilus as root because it doesn't give any
> indication that it is being ran as root.

TIP: Go 'File' -> 'Preferences' after running Nautilus as root, then set
the background color or pattern to something really horrific. :) Like
bright orange or something.  From then on, every 'Root-nautilus' will
show up really different from the more benign regular ones. :)

> If Nautilus did something evident, like use a bright red background
 > with the word "DANGER" when it is ran as root then I wouldn't
 > have an issue.

If you want the word DANGER too then you'd have to Gimp your own
background pattern that includes that. :)

Cheers,
Chanchao