Enabling sound

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 22 00:06:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:35:27 +1000
Jean Hollis Weber <jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com> wrote:

> What else do I need to do to play both sound and video from a
> .wmv? Thanks for any help anyone can give me. (I am abysmally
> ignorant of anything to do with audio and video files, so if I
> ask wrong or stupid questions, that's why.)

I'm pretty much as ignorant as anyone about linux sound and video, and I
don't think your questions are at all "stupid" ;-)

I install totem-xine ( and the w32codecs, libxine-extracodecs etc) . Works
well for most .wmv files. The default totem is totem-gstreamer: totem-xine
uses the xine backend, which plays .wmv using the windows codecs, as above.

There is also mplayer, which is available from the multiverse repository
and also can use the w32codecs
- the dapper/6.06 version works well here too. YMMV, as they say ...

Peter