Enabling sound

Jean Hollis Weber jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com
Thu Jun 22 02:28:54 UTC 2006

Peter Garrett wrote:
> Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
>
>> Daniel Carrera suggested I install totem-xine.
>>> Totem has two possible back-ends, one is gstreamer and the other
>>> is xine. The point of installing totem-xine is to see if that backend
>>> works any better.
>> Totem now plays my test .wmv file. The sound is fine, but the
>> video is awful (the colours are all wrong and the contrast is way
>> too high) but both video and audio do play. This is a definite
>> improvement! :-)
>
> In totem, try playing with Edit-Preferences-Display-Color Balance

Thanks, Peter, I should have looked at the Preferences before
writing my previous note, but I was so excited to just get it
working at all! Changing the contrast was enough to fix most of
the problem, and I'm sure if I spent a bit more time with all the
controls, I could get quite a good result. Mplayer seems to do a
slightly better job (at least on that one file) and without the
fiddling, but having choices is good to know about.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers, Jean