Ubuntu 6.06 LTS hangs at Uncompressing Linux

Nicholas Kline kakster7 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 21 15:46:06 UTC 2006

Greetings,

 To start, here are my System Specs:

 Dell Latitude D800 Laptop computer
 2GHz Pentium processor with Centrino mobile technology
 1GB of RAM
 60GB hard drive
 NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650 128MB video card
 OS: Windows 2000 Professional SP4
 VMware Workstation version 5.5.1 build-19175

 Situation:

 I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Draker) as a guest OS.
 I'm configuring the virtual machine as follows:

 Typical > Linux > Ubuntu > bridged networking > disk size: 4GB > Allocate disk space now

 I've used the 'CD check' option in Ubuntu to verify that the install CD is defect free. The installation completes, reboots, then hangs at:
 ---
 Booting 'Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-server'

 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-server root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
 [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1c00, size=0x16b75f]
 initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-server
 [Linux-initrd @ 0xf840000, 0x69f606 bytes]
 savedefault
 boot
 Uncompressing Linux... OK, boot the kernel.
 ---
 Then the system just hangs from there
 I'm a newbie to Linux so I'm really not sure how to resolve this problem.
 I've had previous versions of Ubuntu installed and running on VMware workstation.
 Some users suggest adding acpi=off noacpi to the following kernel boot parameter:

 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-server root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash acpi=off noacpi

 I tired this and the system still hangs after Uncompressing Linux... ok, booting the kernel.

Today I used the same Ubuntu install cd to create a virtual machine in the same version of VMware workstation but on a different computer running Windows 2003 and it worked.
 Figuring it might be an OS issue, I went back to my laptop and booted into my Windows XP installation (I have a dual-boot system: Win2k Pro & WinXP Pro) and tried installing an Ubuntu virtual machine using the same installation disk and version of VMware workstation - it didn't work. Again, the installation hung at 'uncompressing linux' when trying to boot.
 So obviously Ubuntu 6.06 + VMware workstation 5.5.1 + a Dell latitude D800 = doesn't work.
 What is it about this combination that doesn't work?  Please help!

Nick