Installation questions - multi-boot

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 02:26:13 UTC 2006

Hi Alan,

Tks for your advice.

Now I have Ubuntu-6.06-amd64 download and burned on DVD.  I am ready to
start.

> > 1) Can I repartition the ext partition manually before installing
> > Ubuntu
>
> yes, just use fdisk as normal and specify that you want a logical
> partition (you've used up your limit of primary partitions so fdisk
> will probably not even give you this choice)
>
> You cna do this inside the Ubuntu installer, see below

Noted.  That is what I'm most concerned, having used up all primary
partitions.

> > 3) How to make /home of Ubuntu connected automatically at boot to
> > the Data file on /home of FC5_64 without confusing its /home.
>
> In the installer, select the FC /home partition and tells the
> installer to mount it at /mnt/fedora (or any other dir of your
> choosing). It's obvious where this goes - you won't miss it

Sorry for not having made in clear on my previous posting.

I'll create a new partition, as common partition, and copy the Date
files (contained in several directories) from FC /home to this
partition which can be shared and mounted automatically by both Ubuntu
and FC whenever they are started respectively.  I don't expect creating
a common /home for them which may cause confusion on other directories
of their respective /home.  After everything working without problem
then I'll remove the Data files on FC /home

> > 4) How to create multi-boot
>
> Ubuntu will do this automatically IF you select the advanced options.

> If you go with the default choice it will wipe the entire disk and
> use all space for itself. Be careful what you select "OK" for.
> Do you want to keep the existing boot loader setup that Fedora
> installed and add Ubuntu to it, or do you not mind if Ubuntu replaces
>
> the boot loader and adds a Fedora entry to itself?

I expect Ubuntu taking control of the boot loader as default on booting
this HD and add FC on it.  Whether edit /boot/grub/grub.conf manually.
Can it be done automatcally during installing Ubuntu.  Please advise.
TIA

> > 5) Any advice to avoid corrupting the existing FC5_64
>
> Do not select the default install

Noted with tks.

B.R.
SL