Installation questions - multi-boot

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Jun 20 21:51:10 UTC 2006

On Sunday 18 June 2006 12:51, Stephen Liu wrote:

> The ext partition has not been touched yet.  Now I want to create
> new partitions on the ext partitionins for installing Ubuntu 64bit
> on it as follows;
>
> /dev/sda6  / (Ubuntu) 10G
> /dev/sda7  /home  (Ubuntu)  5G
>

> My questions are.
>
> 1) Can I repartition the ext partition manually before installing
> Ubuntu

yes, just use fdisk as normal and specify that you want a logical
partition (you've used up your limit of primary partitions so fdisk
will probably not even give you this choice)

You cna do this inside the Ubuntu installer, see below

> 2) On installing Ubuntu how to avoid the partitioning steps and
> installing / and /home direct to the partitions created for them in
> advance.

When installing, select the advanced option. You will get a
self-explanatory screen where you can select free space on the disk
and create new partitions in it, or select existing partitions and
use them as you like

> 3) How to make /home of Ubuntu connected automatically at boot to
> the Data file on /home of FC5_64 without confusing its /home.

In the installer, select the FC /home partition and tells the
installer to mount it at /mnt/fedora (or any other dir of your
choosing). It's obvious where this goes - you won't miss it

> 4) How to create multi-boot

Ubuntu will do this automatically IF you select the advanced options.
If you go with the default choice it will wipe the entire disk and
use all space for itself. Be careful what you select "OK" for.
Do you want to keep the existing boot loader setup that Fedora
installed and add Ubuntu to it, or do you not mind if Ubuntu replaces
the boot loader and adds a Fedora entry to itself?

> 5) Any advice to avoid corrupting the existing FC5_64

Do not select the default install

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za