Enabling sound

Bill Thompson Billt at Mahagonny.com
Tue Jun 20 22:19:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:54:34 +1000
Jean Hollis Weber <jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com> wrote:

> Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> >> I'm feeling totally stupid right now, because I have been unable
> >> to get sound working, either through the computer's speakers or
> >> through a headset. (Both work fine under Windows.) The volume
> >> control is not muted, and it's set to a reasonable level. Is there
> >> some other control I need to change?
> >
> > Sound should "just work", so I suspect a problem with Ubuntu. I
> > don't have a solution, but I can think of some things that might at
> > least give us more information:
>
> A music CD played just fine this morning, through both the
> laptop's speakers and the earphones, so I strongly suspect user
> (on my part) error last night. I plead "up well past bedtime" as
> my excuse. ;-)
>
> However, I don't get sound out of any websites, using Firefox
> 1.5.0.4 as shipped with Ubuntu 6.06. Not that I know a good
> website to use for testing sound; I normally have sound muted on
> any machine I use.
>
> Do I need to change something in Firefox (if so, where?) or in
> some config or other file?
>
> --Jean

Have you done a security upgrade recently? My upgrade from Breezy to
Dapper work fine with sound and everything else. After a security
upgrade on Saturday, I have been unable to get any program to play
sound on my machine. I have checked levels and configuration and they
all look good, but no sound. I'm thinking it's a Gstreamer issue, but I
haven't had the time to troubleshoot.

--
Bill Thompson
BillT at Mahagonny.com