hibernate when power is low?

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Sat Jun 17 22:00:50 UTC 2006

Matt Price wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> suspend-to-ram is currently broken on my computer (still looking for help on
> this, see my earlier suspend/hibernate thread!).  Fortunately I have
> suspend2 working great, due to some ubunt-ized suspend2 kernels available on
> the web (don't havet he URL on hand at the moment).
>
> For the moment, I'd like to make my computer suspend-to-disk if the battery
> runs low when I'm away.  But gnome-power-manager, though it allows me to
> configure certain options, DOESN'T seem to allow one to choose a specific
> command for the "battery critical" event (The one I need is
> "/usr/sbin/hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/suspend2.conf").
>
> Does anyone know how I might jerry-rig something that will let
> gnome-power=manager work but give me control of the particular ocmmands?
>
> thanks,
>
> matt

I've never tried this, but I found the following at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/Faq#head-e2e6f65e14ba1ba35fadc8abc191d05caeaf9510

Where do I put my custom suspend/shutdown/hibernate script?

Because gnome-power-manager uses HAL to toggle bits in the hardware, you
need to put your custom instructions in
/prefix/share/hal/scripts/system/hal-system-power-*.

Jaime J. Davila
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College
School of Cognitive Science