Website design : what to use ?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:48:12 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Gary W. Swearingen <garys at opusnet.com> wrote:
> david.vikstrom <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> writes:
>
> > But if anyone knows a good editor for xhtml, xml, xsl, css, php,
> > asp.net... please tell me.... :)
>
> If you plan to do a lot of it, you'd be foolish to not learn emacs or
> xemacs and give one of the special modes for this a real good try.

I just found this thread (which reaches back well into last year!) but
I wanted to weigh in that I have found the following combination to be
pretty good for a lot of situations:

Konqueror (for opening the remote site via ftp/sftp) and Kate (for a
decent html editor). I use them under xfce and gnome and they're not
exactly beautiful but they work. They work together extremely well --
once you have the remote site open in Konqueror, Kate manages the
files as if they're local.

I like Kate because it's reasonably fast, does a good job of syntax
highlighting, and can collapse and display nicely written code,
whether it's html, javascript, css or xml. On the downside, off the
shelf it doesn't have all the text manipulation tools I'd like to see
(though I'm sure they could be added). Surely there's something on a
par with TextWrangler or BBEdit (from the Mac platform), but doesn't
require advanced study to use, as emacs does. (I don't intend to
inflame the emacs fans out there, but I have not found it easy to
learn.)