Remote login, graphically?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Fri Jun 16 10:53:14 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,

I have installed Ubuntu on my mother's machine. Now, I'd like to solve
some of her technical problem remotely. I can already login via SSH and
fix things with a text editor.

Now, I'd like to start several X programs on her machine, but have the
user interface on my machine. I have tunneled X through SSH with:

ssh -X ...

I can start "xeyes", and it appears on my monitor. However, when I start
"firefox", I get the following error after some time waiting:

$ firefox
The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 1057 error_code 3 request_code 20 minor_code 0)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

Also, I'd like to start "from scratch" and login to her machine via GDM,
in a way so I have the complete gnome environment. Is this possible?

And lastly, is this also possible in a way that she can see what I am
doing, or I can see what she is doing?

Regards,

Andreas