Remote login, graphically?

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:07:09 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Andreas Schildbach <andreas at schildbach.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have installed Ubuntu on my mother's machine. Now, I'd like to solve
> some of her technical problem remotely. I can already login via SSH and
> fix things with a text editor.
>
> Now, I'd like to start several X programs on her machine, but have the
> user interface on my machine. I have tunneled X through SSH with:
>
> ssh -X ...
>
> I can start "xeyes", and it appears on my monitor. However, when I start
> "firefox", I get the following error after some time waiting:
>
> $ firefox
> The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
>    (Details: serial 1057 error_code 3 request_code 20 minor_code 0)
>    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>     that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>     To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>     option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>     backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
>
> Also, I'd like to start "from scratch" and login to her machine via GDM,
> in a way so I have the complete gnome environment. Is this possible?
>
> And lastly, is this also possible in a way that she can see what I am
> doing, or I can see what she is doing?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andreas

I had heard about FreeNX but could never get the server running on the
64-bit Breezy, so when Dapper was released that was one of the reasons
I switched to the 386 version. I am not disappointed, FreeNX is
*incredible* for running an X session remotely.

As far as desktop "sharing," I don't have any experience with that but
I *think* vmware will allow for something like that.

Todd