Dapper upgrade hangs - what to do?

jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com
Wed Jun 14 21:25:19 UTC 2006

Quoting Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com>:

> jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com wrote:
>> The system does work -- I am using Firefox to send this message and
>> the ethernet connection is obviously working. But I don't know what
>> to do next. Can I safely cancel the process? I sure don't want to
>> hose anything serious.
>
> Hi Jean. Take this advice with a grain of salt, but if I were in your
> place this is what I would do:
>
> 1. Close the upgrade manager. Cancel the process.
> 2. Ctrl+Alt+F1  (text console - Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back t othe GUI).
> 3. Login.
> 4. sudo aptitude upgrade
>
> This is the command-line way of upgrading the system. The reason for
> doing it this way is to minimize the number of things that can go
> wrong. For example, if the X server (the GUI) stops during the
> upgrade process (which can happen) the upgrade process won't be
> affected.

Thanks, Daniel, for the quick reply.

My main concern was whether cancelling the upgrade in the middle was
likely to cause a big problem. Your advice suggests that it won't.

I have the upgrade CD and the instructions for using it (I downloaded
the ISO and created the CD last week) but I had wanted to try out the
new upgrade process to see how it worked. Heh! Guess I found out!

Do you think it would be better for me to do "sudo aptitude upgrade" or
use the CD? I would prefer not to spend several hours downloading the
files again.

> If you like, you can send me a copy of the file /etc/sources.list and
> I'll take a look (this file tells Ubuntu where to get the packages).

I don't see that file. I'll hunt around to see if sources.list is
somewhere else.

Fortunately I have another computer, so if something does go wrong, I
can still get onto the Internet and yelp for help. :-)

Cheers, Jean