i686 optimization

Joao Inacio jcinacio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 19:07:15 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, Nils Brünggel <n.bruenggel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ultimately, no. For one, too many users still use actual 586 class hardware,
> > such as the crappy Pentium I machines setup for dumb terminals and
> > firewall/lan apache duty.
>
> > There are also the K6, K6-2, and K6-3 processors which will not run 686
> > binaries. These machines make great desktops, and are quite prolific.
>
> I don't see the point here. The new gnome and kde uses that many
> resources that you are unable to run it on old hardware (or it will be
> very slow)

Actually, you should look at the via-based Mini-Itx boards (that
include for example 1Ghz CPU's), these are new systems that can have
1GB ram, fast HDD's etc, and run either Gnome or KDE very happily. -
these CPU's do not (yet) fully support the full i686 instruction set.

--
João Inácio
http://www.jcinacio.com