Need help with iRiver T10 with Breezy!

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Jun 14 12:36:09 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 11:54, Loïc Martin wrote:
> > sudo apt-get install build-essential
> >

> I know that one. Last time, I also had to figure and install an
> incredible amount of programs and libraries just to compile a
> program. Other distros have (or they had last time I tried) 1 to 3
> metapackages (or install options) where you can install like all
> desired stuff to compile desktop apps (X, gtk, qt and such), or
> system apps.

Hold on a sec - on the one hand there's installing the tool chain. On
the other hand there's the gui apps and their -dev libs, and these
things are very different.

Why would you need to install X and toolkit libs to compile? All that
stuff should surely be there already (I can't imagine you would want
to compile kmail without having already installed KDE).

Maybe you mean the -devel packages. The standard install doesn't give
you these as regular user's don't need them (they take up *tons* of
disk space). If you want to *compile* a Qt app, then you need to
install the Qt headers etc for it to work. A package manager can't
help you here as it's not installing the package you want to compile.

This isn't another Ububtu-ism, it's a fact of like on just about any
OS that installs binaries.

> I just did
>
> sudo apt-get install build-essential
>
> a few days ago on a fresh install and I couldn't even do a
> configure. I don't know if it's something I have to install, but
> the tarball compiles fine elsewhere and I can't even do a simple
> compile after
> build-essential. And since it's a desktop app, I perfectly know
> that afterwards I'll have to figure which packages I have to
> install by hand to compile it.

What errors are you getting? It's unlikely to be a missing build tool,
more likely it's missing -dev packages as described above. Once
again, if you are going to venture into compilation territory, the
package manager cannot help you much here so you will have to do some
manual dependency fixing.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za