Need help with iRiver T10 with Breezy!

ZephyrQ zephyrq at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 13 15:20:12 UTC 2006

Loïc Martin wrote:
> ZephyrQ a écrit :
>>
>>     Didn't know when I bought it how difficult it was going to
>> be...and I need it for vacation and do NOT want to have to purchase XP
>> just to fill my mp3 player!
>>
>>     Device manager reads the device, but I cannot/do not remember how
>> to mount it...and I need to upgrade the firmware to convert it from a
>> MTP to UMS device so linux can read and put files on it.
>>
>>     Anyone with some steps to get this done?  I haven't upgraded to
>> Dapper yet because I didn't want to have to deal with upgrade issues
>> before I leave town for 2 weeks!
>>>
> If you want to make everything from Linux, see
> http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=32822
>
> Your device is a MTP one (no fat32 or anything) similar to one of the
> protocols used in some cameras. gPhoto (recent version) should allow you
> to transfer the firmware to transform it into a fat32 one.
>
> gPhoto in Breezy is not recent enough (you would have to compile it) but
> Dapper's *might* be ok (check before, because sometimes non-critical
> packages aren't really up to date (the right gPhoto version dates from
> before Upstream Version Freeze, but you never now.
>
> Ideally, if you have no access to a Windows XP with wmp10, try to use a
> Live CD. Just check if Dapper's gPhoto is up to date, then you an boot
> it, install gPhoto in the live session and follow the instructions. Else
> check Live CD that countains gPhoto, or ones that would allow you to
> install it easily (maybe Knopix, Fedora, Mandrake, etc...)

	Thank you. I've tried some of the things mentioned in the thread, but
couldn't get the gphoto to compile.  Tried the .debs from unstable (the
most recent version), but manually installing them was not working
(dependency hell).  Tried to compile, but apparently I don't have a
compiler (gcc?) installed--first time I've used a distro that I couldn't
compile tarballs...

	Apt-get messed up on me and now I keep getting errors every time I try
to update.  Might have the command wrong...

	apt-get install gphoto unstable

	...is what I thought it was.

	In the meantime, I bit the bullet and tried to upgrade to Dapper, but
the connection timed out at 7:49:00 and I missed 5 packages--so no install.

	Live CD might be the way to go...but I will check to see if it carries
the latest ghoto.