Need help with iRiver T10 with Breezy!

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 07:13:09 UTC 2006

ZephyrQ a écrit :

>     Didn't know when I bought it how difficult it was going to
> be...and I need it for vacation and do NOT want to have to purchase XP
> just to fill my mp3 player!
>
>     Device manager reads the device, but I cannot/do not remember how
> to mount it...and I need to upgrade the firmware to convert it from a
> MTP to UMS device so linux can read and put files on it.
>
>     Anyone with some steps to get this done?  I haven't upgraded to
> Dapper yet because I didn't want to have to deal with upgrade issues
> before I leave town for 2 weeks!
>
>     Thank you!

If you want to make everything from Linux, see
http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=32822

Your device is a MTP one (no fat32 or anything) similar to one of the
protocols used in some cameras. gPhoto (recent version) should allow you
to transfer the firmware to transform it into a fat32 one.

gPhoto in Breezy is not recent enough (you would have to compile it) but
Dapper's *might* be ok (check before, because sometimes non-critical
packages aren't really up to date (the right gPhoto version dates from
before Upstream Version Freeze, but you never now.

Ideally, if you have no access to a Windows XP with wmp10, try to use a
Live CD. Just check if Dapper's gPhoto is up to date, then you an boot
it, install gPhoto in the live session and follow the instructions. Else
check Live CD that countains gPhoto, or ones that would allow you to
install it easily (maybe Knopix, Fedora, Mandrake, etc...)