Problems with RAID on Edubuntu

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Mon Jun 12 13:53:49 UTC 2006

Jack Wasey wrote:
>> I admit I don't see the advantage of using removable media for boot.
>
> Getting RAID 1 on boot seems to require lots of messing around, so there
> is much more chance of a configuration error meaning that your
> (resilient) RAID1 boot device will be unbootable. Better to have a
> single normal boot partition, and use GRUB normally (benefit from Ubuntu
> support and user experience, etc.).

Yes, that's what I did. I put /boot on its own partition and boot from
it normally, no RAID.

> I always set up a second partition in the same place as boot on the
> first disk, so that the physical location of data on the disks is the
> same for the raided partitions. You could use such a partition as a
> backup boot device by updating this backup boot partition with files
> from your real boot partition (rsync?).

Now, that's an idea. I didn't think of that. I'll also look into booting
from removable media. I can make custom Ubuntu Live CDs already, so I'll
start form there.

Thanks for the info. I learnt something new today :)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no