Wine: MS Money 2004 + IE6

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Jun 12 08:31:35 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 03:26, Thiers Botelho wrote:
> The more I read this thread the more convinced I become that this
> Wine / crossover way of life is a PITA and a clear invitation to
> endless hassle.
>
> What's a faithful wine user to do (I mean the lucky user who's
> eventually got ALL his Win apps working) - NEVER upgrade Wine or
> any of the apps for fear of breaking some of them ???
>
> I think that nowadays it'd be a LOT easier to have a vmware machine
> with windoze and fire it up whenever needing some app from that OS.
>
> License-wise I believe / suppose that most users of wine are
> dual-booters anyway (or at least still keep ye olde MS-Eula), so
> the use of Windoze under vmware would bring no legal issues to
> worry about.
>
> Of course you should have a good amount of RAM for that . . . and
> (supposing again) that's not a big problem nowadays for most,
> barring the older laptops.
>
> Any comments / corrections ?

The problem with wine is that it's a moving and a hidden target. It's
also still in beta :-)

As the devs implement more and more functionality some things are
bound to break as we progress. These things eventually stabilize.

The use cases for wine and vmware are slightly different. An app in
vmware doesn't integrate nicely into your desktop for instance, dnd
becomes a pain on vmware (even if it is ever possible) and one might
not want the overhead of a full vm. Take games - most modern ones
need a hefty machine to run well. You need an even heftier machine to
run them in a vm.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za