Wine: MS Money 2004 + IE6

Thiers Botelho thiersb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 01:26:32 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, robertmcox <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I burned about 3/4 of a day Saturday trying to get this to work.

> In the past, I had MS Money running under wine, no sweat, Money even
> worked great.  But that was a while back and I wasn't quite ready to
> switch.

> But now I'm ready to switch.  I was able to get IE6 to install and even
> work, got Money to install no problems, but it would crash every time I
> tried to start it.

> So my solution = purchase Moneydance (www.moneydance.com) for $30.
> I've already migrated all my accounts and reconciled against my online
> statements.  The software works just fine, it's cross platform (java
> based), handles downloading statements from the bank, has some
> reporting abilities.  The data file is (thanks to java) platform
> independant, so you can just copy/move it to Windows, Mac, nix.

> Good luck to you pursuing this, if you get it to work, please post
> details for us.  Even if I've converted, it's always nice to have to
> ability to look something up in the old system.

> As for IE:

> Google it.  Basically, I started with a clean .wine, installed dcom98,
> deleted  crypt32.dll, revsvr32.exe, shlwapi.dll.  Run ie6setup.exe, no
> overrides, win2000 compatibility, import a .reg file.  Don't use the
> .reg file from Frank's corner or IE will constantly crash on you.
> There's a forum post out there describing this hackup -- I think it's
> on the 2 page of posts.  If you need the .reg, PM me for it.
>

> --
> robertmcox

The more I read this thread the more convinced I become that this Wine
/ crossover way of life is a PITA and a clear invitation to endless
hassle.

What's a faithful wine user to do (I mean the lucky user who's
eventually got ALL his Win apps working) - NEVER upgrade Wine or any
of the apps for fear of breaking some of them ???

I think that nowadays it'd be a LOT easier to have a vmware machine
with windoze and fire it up whenever needing some app from that OS.

License-wise I believe / suppose that most users of wine are
dual-booters anyway (or at least still keep ye olde MS-Eula), so the
use of Windoze under vmware would bring no legal issues to worry
about.

Of course you should have a good amount of RAM for that . . . and
(supposing again) that's not a big problem nowadays for most, barring
the older laptops.

Any comments / corrections ?

Thiers