ISO 8859-1 on Ubuntu 6.0.6

jvpgomes ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Jun 11 14:54:45 UTC 2006

Hi!

I have the same problem. And, for what I read in many foruns, it's a
general problem.

I already lost too many time with this and I couldn't solved the
problem.

I read many many many things...

It wasn't difficult to generate locales... if you look in the foruns
you can find many different sollutions.

You can see here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=137306&highlight=locales

I think that you can also do, for example, this:

joao at pc-linux:~$ sudo locale-gen pt_PT pt_PT.UTF-8 en_GB en_GB.UTF-8

and it will generate pt_PT.ISO-8859-1 and en_GB.ISO-8859-1

Any way, my system already supports ISO-8859-1

joao at pc-linux:~$ locale

LANG=pt_PT.ISO-8859-1

LANGUAGE=pt_PT.ISO-8859-1

LC_CTYPE="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_NUMERIC="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_TIME="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_COLLATE="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_MESSAGES="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_PAPER="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_NAME="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_ADDRESS="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_TELEPHONE="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

LC_ALL=pt_PT.ISO-8859-1

joao at pc-linux:~$

I normally add this lines:

export LC_ALL="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

export LANG="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

export LANGUAGE="pt_PT.ISO-8859-1"

to the .bashrc file.

Everything is normal.

But I have one problem.

It seems that GNOME uses only UTF-8. Every time I start a program using
the GNOME menu, that program will have the UTF-8 codification by
default.

If I use GNOME console to start the program, that program will run
using ISO-8859-1 codification.

I don't understand why GNOME still uses UTF-8 even if the locales are
set to ISO-8859-1.

I don't know how to changed it...

Anyone has a solution?

It's a shame because Ubuntu is my favourite distro, but since I upgrade
to Dapper, I've been experiencing some problems... locales, printer, and
some other small questions... now this is the only problem that I could
solved yet...

Regards

--
jvpgomes