Dapper is LESS stable than Breezy.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Jun 11 13:05:46 UTC 2006

Matthew Davidson wrote:
> And yet it does. Thanks for reassuring me that it's not just me. I've
> been reluctant to point the finger, because I always upgrade a month (in
> this case closer to two months) before the official release, and have
> blamed any upgrade hassles on my lack of patience.

I understand. I waited until a week after the release to be on the safe
side.

> "Do a fresh install", "create a new user", and "delete ~/.g*" are not
> satisfactory answers to this problem. Particularly in the case of
> "enterprise" upgrades to the next LTS release, I don't think having
> every user in a large organisation suddenly losing their desktop
> preferences (or for that matter their bookmarks, address books, mail,
> etc.) one morning is acceptable.

I couldn't agree more. You said it perfectly. It's not just about my
desktop. I have to support Ubuntu in schools, Dapper is supposed to be
enterprise, so an upgrade should work. If we are to claim that Dapper is
"enterprise ready" then those answers are not satisfactory. Those are
answers I'd expect for Edgy, but not Dapper.

This weekend I'm working on an Edubuntu LTSP thin client (you will have
seen other posts from me about that). Once it's set up, it has to work
reliably and upgrades must be stable.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no