sudo without password

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jun 11 11:31:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:52:03 -0400
Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

> > This would be the ZoneAlarm style, which Linux really lacks, unfortunately.
> >
> My experience with this has been that there are basically two choices:
>
> 1.  Lock things down.  The user gets frustrated and uninstalls or turns off
> the firewall.
>
> 2.  Ask if something needs a port opened up going out.  User virtually always
> says yes.
>
> Either way, unless there is a lot of user training and understanding, I don't
> think these GUI firewalls do much good for the masses.

I'm inclined to agree.

Anecdote from my shameful former life...

I remember once in the dim and distant past ( aeons ago -maybe as early
as, oh, the year 2000 ;p ) when I was still using *that* OS, a little
chess program that I had installed from who-knows-where popped up a Zone
Alarm dialogue asking if I wanted said program to act as a server....

The chess program was uninstalled minutes later, followed by
searching for remnants thereof, running "Spybot Search And Destroy", and
examination of the registry ... ;-)

Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

I'm not sure that most "Aunt Tillies" would have understood the
implications of that dialogue, though.

Peter

--

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."