breezy2dapper: hibernate broken

Patrick Drechsler patrick at pdrechsler.de
Sat Jun 10 23:19:36 UTC 2006

Hi,

after upgrading from Breezy to Dapper hibernating my laptop
(Thinkpad R40-2722) from the gnome system menu ("System->Quit")
does not work anymore. Reading some threads here[1] it was noted
that a new kernel overwrites the resume entry in
/boot/grub/menu.lst. I have added this entry again, run "sudo
update-grub" and rebooted. The system will not wake up (blank
screen). The same also happens when invoking hibernation from the
keyboard (Fn-F12 on my Thinkpad).

Here's the output of /etc/fstab:

,----[ fstab ]
| # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
| #
| proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
| /dev/hda2       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
| /dev/hda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
| /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
|
| # windows Ãund daten-artition mounten:
| /dev/hda1	/mnt/windows	vfat	gid=patrick,uid=patrick,umask=000	0	0
| /dev/hda4	/home/patrick/data	vfat	gid=patrick,uid=patrick,umask=000	0	0
`----

My SWAP file is appr. twice the size of my RAM.

With Breezy hibernation worked fine using APM (hibernation with
ACPI never worked for me with Breezy).

,----[ test 1 with menu.lst ]
| root=/dev/hda2 ro acpi=off apm=on nolapic quiet splash resume=/dev/hda3
`----

Since this didn't work anymore I tried ACPI which also does not
work (this does yield a working sleep mode with Fn-F4 though,
which did not work with Breezy; Fn-F12 does not work):

,----[ test 2 with menu.lst ]
| root=/dev/hda2 ro acpi=on quiet splash resume=/dev/hda3
`----

All methods have in common that when saving to RAM the harddrive
is active, giving the impression that the information is actually
written to RAM. It just will not return the information when
trying to wake up the laptop.

Has anybody experienced problems like this (maybe even with
a similar laptop model)?

Don't hesitate to contact me for further info about my system.

TIA

Patrick

[1] <URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/80643/focus=80725>
--
The function of the muscle is to pull and not to push, except in the
case of the genitals and the tongue.