How to assign RAM quotas

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Jun 9 12:57:54 UTC 2006

Hello,

Thanks for the help. I think I have a solution, and I'd like an opinion.

Reminder/context: I'd like to setup thin clients and limit how much RAM
each thin client can have.

I asked this question at the LTSP mailing list and someone pointed me to
the program 'limit':

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mansec?1+limit

Quote:
   "limit, ulimit, unlimit - set or get limitations on the
   system resources available to the current shell and its
   descendents"

I think I can use this. I could modify the init script of the LTSP
system that the clients boot to have certain RAM limit. Since their X
session and programs are all children of 'init', that would effectively
assign a per-user RAM limit.

Would this work as I expect?

One concern is: What happens when a thin-client user starts OpenOffice?
Do they get the entire OpenOffice size subtracted from their quota? What
if 10 people start OpenOffice? Do they all get that size subtracted from
their quota although OpenOffice itself is only loaded once?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no