Second X session

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 8 07:27:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 23:12:13 -0400
Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to start a second X session on a second console using icewm instead
> of the default wm (kde) using the command
> startx icewm --:1

[snip]

apt-file search icewm  shows a

/usr/bin/icewm-session

I don't use icewm here, but I wonder if invoking that instead of
just"icewm" might help? Just a guess really - but the trend seems to be to
have some kind of script that starts the wm - for instance, fluxbox now
uses "startfluxbox".

file /usr/bin/icewm-session

would tell you if it's  a script, so you could have a look at what it
does. This is assuming you installed icewm with the dapper packaging
system, rather than rolling your own ...

Rationale: possibly icewm-session sets up various bits including fonts
that just invoking "icewm" does not. As I said, just a guess ...

Peter
--

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."

-The Cluetrain Manifesto