root has less menus

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Jun 7 22:36:14 UTC 2006

Kent Borg wrote:
>> You don't need to login as root for that. Type 'sudo nautilus'.
>
> I didn't dare try that.  Figuring nautilus was too much a part of my
> whole graphical environment, I feared it would get pissed having two
> different users at once.  It actually works, you've done it?  (I still
> assume that dragging between windows of different users is a bad idea.
> Which user would my hand be??)

It works if you don't drag and drop files from one window to another
that is running as a different user. If you just select the file and hit
"delete" it works. That moves the file to root's Trash. To see root's
Trash when you're done, choose "Go >> Trash". Though I admit I can't
figure out how to clear the trash from Nautilus.

Moving files across different users would indeed be inadvisable. I just
tried it out of curiosity. It looks like the permissions that count are
the ones of the *destination* window. That's interesting.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no