root has less menus

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Jun 7 21:53:26 UTC 2006

Kent Borg wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 03:20:59PM +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
>> Why do you need to login to Gnome as root? Don't.
>
> There is one case where I have logged in to gnome as root: When I am
> doing dangerous file deletions.
>
> Sometimes I have needed to do "rm -rf whatever" on files that are not
> owned by kentborg, and it is very dangerous.  Much safer--at least for
> me--is to drag icons around.

You don't need to login as root for that. Type 'sudo nautilus'.

You could just as well do this:

mkdir /tmp/trash
sudo mv <lots of dangerous files> /tmp/trash

Then take a look at /tmp/trash and if you're sure, then go ahead and delete.

> Yes, running Gnome is dangerous--and certainly don't web browse while
> root.  So, what is a safe way to do GUI file manipulating as root?

'sudo nautilus' would be an improvement. But I advise that you close
that window as soon as you're done.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no