adobe plugin for firefox not working

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Wed Jun 7 19:03:33 UTC 2006

Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 14:18 -0400, Jaime Davila wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> After a fresh install of dapper, with the 1.5.03 Firefox version that
>> installs automatically, and after adding acroread, acroread-plugins, and
>> Mozilla-acroread, PDF files fail to open inside Firefox. Instead, the
>> document opens outside of Firefox, in adobe reader.
>>
>> I have tried installing both through apt-get and synaptic, with the same
>> effect. Looking at "about:plugins" in Firefox doesn't list acrobat reader.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Jaime,
>
> Check for a file called nppdf.so. It should be
> in /usr/local/Reader/Browser/intellux.
>
> Then copy that file into your /home/~/.mozilla/plugins directory
>
> Restart Firefox; it should work after than...
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a Reader directory under /usr/local (or under /usr).
I searched for nppdf.so under /usr, and found one under
/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux

There are links to that file at the following locations:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6

I also copied the file to my ~/.mozilla/plugins directory, and restarted
firefox, but the plugin still does not get listed.

Any more thoughts?

TIA,

Jaime

Jaime J. Davila