dapper freeze

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 17:35:00 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Jonny Wester <jonny.wb at telia.com> wrote:
> Tommy Trussell skrev:
> > On 6/7/06, str tux <str.tux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm using Acer Veriton 7700GX! 160GB SATA, P4, 1GB RAM!
> >
> > A Google search shows that hardware was tested and is compatible with
> > Red Hat Enterprise WS 3:
> >
> > http://www.linux-tested.com/results/acer_veriton7700gx.html
> >
> > Given the trouble you indicated (a freeze sometime soon after the
> > Dapper logo appears) I would first suspect a problem with X windows,
> > but I'm not an expert there. The chart above says the system used the
> > general VESA VGA drivers ... is it possible xorg is detecting your
> > hardware wrong, so that xorg is trying to load a driver that doesn't
> > work on your hardware?
> >
> > You can look in the file /var/log/xorg.0.log and see if you see some
> > warnings or if the drivers being loaded don't match your hardware.
> >
> I hope Im not disturbing with nonsense but I have a similar problem BUT
> the freeze appears after I have installed the flgrx driver and the 686
> kernel.

I am unsure what you mean. Do you have different hardware? Did you
look in the /var/log/xorg.0.log file? I really am NOT an expert so I
probably shouldn't make it sound like I understand even .001% of what
you are experiencing...

SO... Here's what I am going to recommend to everyone reading this
thread... collect some more information and file a bug report. If it
turns out someone else has encountered the problem and knows the
solution, it's MUCH easier to collect the data in the bug system and
to sort things out.

If your system has a PCI bus (most do) here's a tool I found that
might be helpful:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.cgi

This site collects data about PCI drivers, and it might help point you
to the problematic driver. If any lines say "unsupported" then you may
want to track down the situation, maybe with some Google searches
using the driver information. The site will also ask you for your
model information to help build THEIR database.

Next make sure you are registered at http://launchpad.net/ -- I
believe the user IDs and passwords are shared across the official
Ubuntu sites, including the wiki.

Use the tools at launchpad.net to search for "freeze" "lockup" "crash"
and other keywords such as your machine brand or model and some of the
pci drivers listed from the site above, and see if anyone else has
reported the problem or something similar. If you see something
similar, read the discussion of the bug. If your hardware is EXACTLY
the same AND the bug has not been resolved, then subscribe to the bug
and maybe add a "me too" comment with any other solid data you can
supply.

If your hardware is NOT EXACTLY the same as in the bug and/or the
suggested remedy does not fix yours, then you can prepare to create
your own report. (But be sure to list your legwork -- if your problem
is similar to another bug, you should reference it in your report...
for example just write "This is similar to Bug 12345 except my CPU has
orange and black flames painted on it" in your bug report, and the
system will hot-link automatically to Bug 12345.

If you suspect your video hardware is not being detected and/or
configured properly, read this information and file a bug report:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration

If you suspect a kernel problem, read this and file a bug report:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelProblems

I really hope that helps!