dapper freeze

Jonny Wester jonny.wb at telia.com
Wed Jun 7 07:08:36 UTC 2006

Tommy Trussell skrev:
> On 6/7/06, str tux <str.tux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using Acer Veriton 7700GX! 160GB SATA, P4, 1GB RAM!
>
> A Google search shows that hardware was tested and is compatible with
> Red Hat Enterprise WS 3:
>
> http://www.linux-tested.com/results/acer_veriton7700gx.html
>
> Given the trouble you indicated (a freeze sometime soon after the
> Dapper logo appears) I would first suspect a problem with X windows,
> but I'm not an expert there. The chart above says the system used the
> general VESA VGA drivers ... is it possible xorg is detecting your
> hardware wrong, so that xorg is trying to load a driver that doesn't
> work on your hardware?
>
> You can look in the file /var/log/xorg.0.log and see if you see some
> warnings or if the drivers being loaded don't match your hardware.

Hi!

I hope Im not disturbing with nonsense but I have a similar problem BUT
the freeze appears after I have installed the flgrx driver and the 686
kernel. I thought it was just a one time thing but I have tried the same
thing 3 times now with exactly the same result!
It freezes at the loginscreen. I have been on Ubuntu since the 4th
distro and this is the first time anything has gone bad!!! 3D
acceleration is essential so this has to be fixed!

JW