Dapper : no connection to the internet

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 15:44:00 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having the same problem after installing Ubuntu Server (Dapper) on my
> PowerBook G3; during installation, Dapper couldn't seem to find my Ethernet.
>  As a result, it's not configured for the 'Net.
>
> How can we configure for the 'Net?

Dapper does not prompt for networking information during the
installation, I've found, leaving the network unconfigured.  This is
problematic for the target audience of the software who are probably
going to be left lost at this point.

My Ethernet was detected just fine, however no network was configured
as the machine does not sit on a DHCP enabled network.  You can
configure your IP address and whatnot using the file
/etc/network/interfaces.  You'll want to change the entry that reads:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

To read something like this:

iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.22.154.14
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.22.154.1

That's from my machine and your configuration may differ.  Also,
you'll need to add nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf.  This file does
not exist by default so it's safe to create it.  You'll want something
like this in there:

search domain1.com domain2.com
nameserver 192.168.10.11
nameserver 192.168.10.14
nameserver 10.22.119.161

Obviously, again, your configuration will differ, but you should have
the idea.  Note that the search directive is entirely optional.  The
nameserver directives (you must have at least one, and no more than
three) are not.

Good luck!

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."