Ubuntu Desktop Starter Guide

Lee Tambiah l_tambiah at linuxmail.org
Tue Jun 6 13:04:32 UTC 2006

> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 19:37 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> > You just have to fill out a form to enter your details.  You don't need
> > to enter your Credit card details.
> >
> > I've downloaded all of them :)
>
> Okay... I have managed to download the "Ubuntu Desktop Stater Guide"....
> but Evince fails to display it ! It can read the contents table in the
> left pane, but fails to display anything useful/readable in the main
> view. I tried with every other PDF viewer I could think of: xpdf, gpdf,
> kpdf, but all fail.
> My last attempt was with Acrobat Reader, which thank god manages to
> display it properly.
>
> A Guide on Dapper that can't be read on Dapper... a book about
> open-source, that can't be read on anything but a proprietary pdf
> reader.... hmmmm... :-(

This is a BIG concern, I am going to try this myself to confirm it,
but we can't allow a document to only be opened in a proprietry solution
it breaks the FLOSS philosophy. We should be free to view any document, in
any program. I refuse to put adobe on my machine...

Regards

L. Tambiah

GNU/Linux Enthusiast

"Dont hate me because i'm GNU"