Problem with emacs over vnc or freenx

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 21:11:34 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Eamonn Sullivan <eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
> My attachment to emacs caused me problems in Breezy, in that FreeNX
> didn't get along with it without a workaround (had to specify a font
> on the command line with "-fn 9x15"). Now, in Dapper, I have a similar
> issue: Emacs won't start when using a fresh install of Dapper over
> FreeNX (from the Seveas repository) or vncserver (from the Universe
> repository). The error is:
>
> Undefined color: "black"

I'm very sorry, I didn't read further enough on the ubuntu forums. I
need to symlink rgb.txt to a few more places:

sudo ln -s /etc/X11/rgb.txt /usr/X11R6/lib
sudo ln -s /etc/X11/rgb.txt /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt
sudo ln -s /etc/X11/rgb.txt /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
sudo ln -s /etc/X11/rgb.txt /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

That problem solved. FreeNX still doesn't work well with emacs (need
to start with "-fn 9x15"), but at least it starts. Sorry for the
premature resort to the list.

-Eamonn