Problem with emacs over vnc or freenx

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 20:59:53 UTC 2006

My attachment to emacs caused me problems in Breezy, in that FreeNX
didn't get along with it without a workaround (had to specify a font
on the command line with "-fn 9x15"). Now, in Dapper, I have a similar
issue: Emacs won't start when using a fresh install of Dapper over
FreeNX (from the Seveas repository) or vncserver (from the Universe
repository). The error is:

Undefined color: "black"

I searched the forums and the workaround suggested (symlink rgb.txt to
another location) does not work. A strace on emacs shows it's trying
to open a Xcms.txt that doesn't exist, but googling indicates that
emacs often tries to open this (color-management, I'm guessing) file
and works fine even if it doesn't find it.

I've seen reports of this problem on Gentoo and a few others using
modular X. In searching the Ubuntu archives, I found someone
suggesting that I create a symlink to the rgb.txt file (see
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=90751&page=2), but this
solution doesn't work for me. Does anyone else have this problem or
has anyone stumbed on a workaround?

-Eamonn