Loop device

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Jun 4 22:53:43 UTC 2006

On Sunday 04 June 2006 16:33, VIGNESH wrote:
> Hi!
>        When I try to mount a iso image I get the foll error what do
> I do ?
>
> root at ubuntu:~# mount ubuntu.iso mnt -o loop
> mount: could not find any free loop device

That command will try to mount a file called ubuntu.iso located in the
current directory (/root) to a directory called mnt which is also in
the current directory. This seems unlikely, perhaps you wanted
something like this:

mount /path/to/isofile/ubuntu.iso /mnt -t iso9660 -o loop

As others noted, the -t parameter can prevent unusual errors when
mount can determine the file system type without invoking magic.

> vignesh at ubuntu:~$ sudo mount ubutu.iso mnt -o loop=/dev/loop7
> ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Device or resource busy

That tells me that /dev/loop/7 is in use, which means you probably
tried executing the mount at least 7 times to get it to work. When
you do that, the loop device is basically marked as in use and there
is a finite number of them (8 by default IIRC). You can make more,
but it's best to release the locked ones that aren't being used:

losetup -d /dev/loop/x

where x is the loop device to free up.

fuser /dev/loop/* will list all devices in use

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za