sshfs - fusermount: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied

Ropetin Again ropetin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 19:58:34 UTC 2006

I'm currently trying to use the seemingly wonderful sshfs to mount a
portion of the file system on a remote server as part of my local file
system.  I've installed the sshfs package, and everything that Dapper
suggested to go along with it.  When I issue the command to mount, this is
what I get;

	user at linuxlaptop:~$ sshfs user at hostname: mount_point/
	fusermount: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied

I've found Launchpad bug# 5105 which describes the symptoms perfectly, but
that is from 3 months ago and has been marked as 'Fix Released'.

I've made sure I'm at the latest version of everything with;

	user at linuxlaptop:~$ sudo apt-get update
	user at linuxlaptop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade

I've added my user to the fuse group;

	user at linuxlaptop:~$ sudo adduser user fuse

I've changed the group of /dev/fuse to fuse (from bug# 5105)

	user at linuxlaptop:~$ sudo chgrp fuse /dev/fuse

But still I'm getting the same problem.  Can anyone offer a hint of a
suggestion for a poor frustrated remote user?

Ropetin.